Sunday 14 September 2014

Glasgow

I know I said I’d get on this sooner, but life has been crazy and fantastic and an adventure.
I’m in love with Glasgow. It’s quite simple really; the people, the beer, the whisky, the kilts, the music... it's all magic. Glasgow is magic.

My first day was mostly spent sleeping and spending time with the lovely Kitty, who kindly allowed me to stay in her humble abode. Immediately upon seeing my accommodations I was absolutely thrilled. The bed was made, fresh air was flowing through the window, and there were instruments at my disposal. The "traditional" Scottish food, tea-cakes and Irn Bru, proved to be sugary and delicious. Everyone kept saying that haggis really isn't that bad... but I can't seem to get past the whole eating an animal's respiratory system thing. 

I spent my second day shopping down Buchanan Street and enjoying the surrounding street music. Many of the shops here were quite similar to home (Forever 21, H&M, TopShop and such) but I did find a few UK stores that I loved. Most of the stuff in it was a bit preppy for my taste, but Jack Wills was true to its motto of being "Fabulously British" and I found some trousers (here pants means the same thing as knickers) that I could not resist. 



Inside of Jack Willis


I couldn't resist taking a picture with that name for a clothing shop


I went down to Loch Lomond that afternoon. It was absolutely stunning. I took a boat tour of the Loch and learned all about the houses that were originally owned by business people and politicians, many of which are now luxury hotels and apartments. 






That evening was spent blues dancing in the back room at a bar called The Griffin. I really should have taken pictures. This is where I met many fabulous Scottish dances, as well as a Swedish one who happened to be living in Scotland. It was one of the most fabulous evenings of dancing in my life. I think I was able to have a conversation with nearly everyone who attended, and they were all fantastic. The dances ranged everywhere from sultry to silly and each one had it’s own bit of magic. Every single dance that night was great.

Friday I saw a TARDIS while shopping on Buchanan St! Serious highlight right there. I spend some time in the museum of modern art which currently has a Generations exhibit for the 25th Anniversary featuring work by artists from Glasgow and artists who attended the art school in Glasgow. There were two series that really stood out to me.




The first was inspired by the difference between buildings and architecture. Building, being the function and the actual standing structure and architecture, being used to refer to the artistic details and cultural significance of the building. The artist made hundreds of churches out of cardboard. The attention to detail and time that went into the project must have required a ridiculous amount of patience. If you look closely, you can see the pencil marked grids on the individual pieces of cardboard.



The second tracked culturally significant events that happened annually from 1989 onward. It is being done as a permanent installation and will continue to progress as time goes on. It was done in multiple circular rooms, some with a banister and a view to the floors below, and some years in small individual cylindrical rooms, which is where the panoramic pictures were taken.



And of course, while there, I saw the Duke who always has a pylon (or traffic cone as they call it here) on his head. Sometimes the horse has one too. 



After the museum, Kitty took me to this lovely tea-house in the West End called Tchaiovna. It was essentially a hippie den with the largest variety of teas I had ever seen in one place. There were proper tables and a patio, but we sat inside this little nook with a tiny table and pillows on the floor instead of chairs. I really wish I had taken pictures. It was absolutely stunning.

Friday night was easily one of the best nights of my life. I went to my first Ceilidh (pronounced Kay-lee). For those who don’t know (I didn’t either) a Ceilidh is a traditional Scottish dance party, complete with whisky, beer, live music, and of course, men in Kilts. It was a lot of jumping and clapping and stomping and laughing. Yet another thing I should have taken pictures of on Friday.

I know that I’ve already been in Bradford for nearly two days, but that’s for another entry.

Missing all of you lovelies who aren’t here!

xx

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment